About our 4-Inch Low Voltage New Construction IC Air Tight Recessed Lighting Housing
This four-inch recessed lighting housing features dimming compatibility, air tight construction, and a design that can be used in sloped ceilings. Itís IC rated, which means it can safely be placed alongside or directly underneath ceiling insulation. Itís also UL approved for damp locations. Use this recessed housing in new construction or where there is access above an insulated ceiling.
- 2 Models:
||8.0in high x 8.0in wide x 12-5/8in long
||7.75in high x 10.75in wide x 17.75in long
- 4.25in Ceiling Cutout: 4.25in in diameter
- Adjustable Bar Hangers: bar hangers are adjustable up to 24in for easy, nail-free installation; bar hangers are also T-bar compatible
- IC-Rated: rated for direct contact with ceiling insulation
- Air Tight Construction: complies with the strict Washington State Energy Code (WSEC) that restricts airflow through recessed lighting housings
- Sloped Ceilings: this housing can be used in sloped ceilings
- Light Bulb: uses an MR16 12-volt halogen lamp. The specific lamp to be used is determined by the trim that is selected.
- Maximum Wattage of Lamp: 50 watts
- Transformer: integral, magnetic, Class H, thermally protected, 12-volt transformer preinstalled onto J-box
- Junction Box: J-box is ETL listed for through branch circuit wiring
- Quick Connectors: J-box is equipped with "quick connectors" for quick, easy push-in electrical connections. If the installer prefers to use wire nuts, the "quick connectors" may be easily removed.
- Several Knockouts: junction box has four 1/2in knockouts, two 3/4in knockouts, and four more knockouts with true pry-out slots
- UL Listed for Damp Location: this housing is UL listed for damp locations
- 120V Is Dimmable: only the 120-volt integral magnetic transformer is dimmable with Lutron wall dimmers.
- Many Decorative Trims Available: view trims on the 4-Inch Recessed Lighting page
- Large Quantity Discount: If you would like us to quote on a large quantity of 4-Inch Low Voltage Air Tight IC Recessed Lighting Housings, please call us at our toll free number or use the online Quotation Request for Large Quantities form. We are always happy to provide you with our best large quantity pricing.
4-Inch Low Voltage New Construction IC Air Tight Recessed Lighting Housing
By LM from New York, NY on November 5, 2012
What is the maximum ceiling thickness into which this fixture can be installed?
By Jacob from Pegasus Lighting on November 6, 2012
Answer:The max ceiling thickness is 1.25in
By Curt Jones from Salinas, CA on July 31, 2012
I have several of these and I am having a problem with a few of them. After a short time, 2 weeks or so, the light stops working. If I take out the bulb and put it back in, it works again for a short while. What could be causing this? Only 2 out of 11 are doing this.
By Chris at Pegasus Lighting on July 31, 2012
It sounds like the transformer is shutting down. Obviously this is good as this action works as an overload protection. The shutdown could be caused from overheating either due to loose wire connections, wrong gauge of wire (romex or otherwise) or too high wattage of lamp. The 4in low-voltage fixtures are rated for up to 50 watts.
Also, maybe there is an overloaded circuit in the electrical panel the housing is connected to?
Finally, if the housing is on a dimmer, a dimmer designed specifically for magnetic transformers is recommended.
I hope this helps.
By Mike from Dallas on December 1, 2014
Will it be possible to use an LED light and dimmer switch with this can? If an electronic transformer is required, can I get this can with the electronic transformer?
By Jacob from Pegasus Lighting on December 1, 2014
This housing's transformer has a minimum required load of 20W, so no, you cannot use an LED because they are generally much lower in wattage.